Friday, January 16, 2009

Shantaram was right about dogs!

Every household in our Andaman home’s vicinity and beyond have two or more dogs of the local breed. Most do not have a band around their neck. Although they feed and guard separate households, they are free spirits. Running around whole day, enjoying themselves or just relaxing on pathway shades. They run around us joyously drawing large circles, wagging their tails in a friendly waggle. But nights, after sunset and before sunrise, Shantaram alias Lin Baba alias Gregory was absolutely right!

One day I woke up before the early Andaman and Nicobar sunrise, and left in the dark for a jog, knowing well the sun would rise soon. I heard a bark. It was our neighbour’s dog perhaps. Actually the animal was signaling to another dog in another household. Another bark from far, then more barks from all around. The bark-signals alerting one dog after another was a fierce orchestration of barks as I reached the path leading to the sea, with apprehension. As I set my foot on that road, ten dogs from ten corners started lunging at me barking fiercely. By reflex I picked stones and started throwing at them desperately and warded them till I reached the main road. The fight was on. I was sweating even before my jog. Luckily for me, the first town bus came rumbling with the rising sun at the first glimpse of daylight. The dogs left me, but I recognized them. They were all my neighbours, docile and playfully friendly in day time, but a different story in the dark.

After an hour and a half, as I returned, I was carefully looking to my sides for the dogs. But to my pleasant surprise, the same bunch of them greeted me with friendly barks from their households, like I was their chum for a long, long time. I winced.

Now, I wait till the first glimpse of sunlight, before I go for a jog. If I have to go out in the evenings, I try to walk as quietly as possible or I take the scooter.

My DOG!

No comments:

Post a Comment