Thursday, January 15, 2009

From Andamans to Nepal & back..



I had heard of Google Earth, but had never used it. Yesterday, I downloaded it out of curiosity, after all the publicity Earth received for dubious reasons of the 26x11 Mumbai attacks. I have never been to Kalamati’s home in Nepal, although I had met with her Mother Purnakala Pun and elder brother Khadak when they were in India. Kalamati was another reason for me downloading Earth, as we plan to visit Nepal in May. She hails from Mehelkuna in the Surkhet District, Bheri Anchal in the south western region of the Himalayan country. From Lucknow to Nepalgunj,, the border town on that side. Then to Chinchu, where the road goes straight up to Birendranagar, and to right it goes to Jajarkot. From Chinchu I came down hill on the Jajarkot road to Ramghat as the beautiful river Bheri appeared in all its glory. On the other side of the river is Dasrathpur. We tunned right along the river without crossing it. After about 5 kms we came to Kalamati’s family home tucked on the slope of the hill watching the road to Jajarkot and the river in front. It was exciting for her and me virtually. Then I flew to Port Blair and reached my new home. But alas! We did not find it, but figured out the land where our house stands now. The pictures were old, but the neighbouring houses and the Park Hotel were visible. It was cool! Out of little dismay at not finding our home, I looked for Sulochana Didi’s home where we stayed as tenants for almost two years. I found it at 4, Patthargudda! I also found the Bhathu Basti Market, the Gas Station, Muthu provision store-- little memories when we lived here and we revisit from time to time. Like the lyrics of Time after Time!

(The bloomer I noticed while I was “VIRTUALLY” at Port Blair, was the existence and mention of two Cellular Jails. One in the right place where it belongs, and one at Prothrapur. Actually, the Prothrapur one in the not the historical Cellular Jail which housed Veer Savarkar and now is a touristic monument, but this one houses the present day law breakers and is simply called Prothrapur Jail.)


No comments:

Post a Comment