Saturday, January 10, 2009

Andaman moorings & mornings

Hello and Namaskar,

Now that we have a home on a piece of land to call our own, we are busy making it look more like a home than a house.

Manglu, our fisherman friend goes to fish almost everyday in his boat proudly named RONOJIT at around three in the afternoon, and returns next morning at around six with an assortment of fish. As I wake up early around five for a jog on the 4 km road along the sea from Rangachang Bazar to Manglu’s home and mangrove boat park, I generally watch Manglu and his associates waving at me, as they alight with their proud catch. If I know our fish stock is over, I call Kalamati, she wakes up and drives on the scooter to join me and choose the fish. Nothing like jogging along swishing, whistling,
sensuously swaying coconut trees and the sonorous rumble and tumble of the waves changing into multitudinous hues in accordance to a secret orchestration with the rising Sun. It is magic! Initially, thinking I was getting old, I used to do brisk walking till I did sweat. After a few days as I walked, I heard a rumble behind me, almost like a stampede. I was taken aback, but as the stampede crossed me, I realized they were runners from the armed forces. 30, 40 of them, fighting fit sinewy men as they disappeared as I walked. I felt sorry for myself. I started a slow jog. After a km or so, I was bloody tired, my calf muscles were giving in, although my lungs were on my side. My swimming in the sea had made my lungs strong, I thought! Gradually I increased my distance from that day onwards. I can surely run now. I am not getting old, mate! Andaman is enigmatically returning me to my innocence. I feel free! Like the falcon flying over my head at my jogging strip swooping down to catch a prize fish and soar again. I jog to Manglu for my half weekly quota of fish. I try to locate the falcon in the sky, showing off my catch.

Our first weeks at my new home has been uneventfully eventful. I have not bagged a business contract that will fatten my bank balance, but have figured out the right place to tie our new hammock, the perfect spot for a driftwood that looks like a monitor lizard, the wall with a visible angle for our new clock etc., etc. at our sweet home Andamana.

No comments:

Post a Comment